Book an appointment now: 0333 577 3822

Is plumbing covered by home insurance?

One of the most common questions (and sources of confusion) our clients have is whether the cost of plumbing is covered in their home insurance policy. In this article we answer this common question and several related questions.

If you’ve suffered a water leak, then it’s likely you have a damaged water pipe. As part of the process to repair your home, your leak will have to be repaired. Many customers assume that the cost to repair a leaking water pipe is included in their home insurance policies. However, in many cases this is not true.

Many home insurance policies include the cost of repairing the damage caused by the leaking pipe. For example repairing damage to floorboards, plastering, decorations and electrical circuits. They do not cover the cost to repair the leaking pipe itself. In short, in many cases you are liable for plumbing costs.

Why is this?

Many insurers consider burst or damaged water pipes a result of negligence in maintaining your home, or the result of general ‘wear and tear’. Some advise that you should regularly check your water pipes for signs of degradation and pro-actively maintain them.

What if the pipe was frozen or damaged by frost?

Your chances may be better if your water pipe started to leak due to freezing or frost. Some home insurance providers will cover the cost to repair water pipes under these circumstances.

Can I get plumbing cover on my home insurance policy?

Some policies may cover plumbing costs, although this is far from guaranteed – many do not. Some insurers also offer ‘home emergency cover’. This may or may not cover the cost of an emergency plumbing service. Speak to your insurer or check your policy for more information.

What about accidental damage?

The cost of plumbing may be covered (in some circumstances) if you have accidental damage cover. For example if you are doing home improvement works and accidentally damage a water pipe, then your insurer may cover the cost of repair. Again, you need to check your policy or speak with your insurer.

Leave a Reply